This original box has been painted by Yuriy Mikhalyov from the village of Fedoskino. The artist is specializing in genre of architectural scenes and landscapes.
This product is no longer in stock
Warning: Last items in stock!
This original box has been painted by Yuriy Mikhalyov from the village of Fedoskino. The artist is specializing in genre of architectural scenes and landscapes. He has created the series of works dedicated the picturesque views of St.-Petersburg, and now he works on a new interesting theme depicting the ancient towns of Russia.
On this box he has painted the town of Arzamas situated in the Nizhny Novgorod Region on the Tesha River, 300 km east of Moscow. Arzamas was founded in 1578 by Ivan the Terrible in the lands populated at the time by the Mordvin people. By 1737 more than 7000 people lived in Arzamas and the town became a major transit center on the route from Moscow to eastern parts of Russia. It was known for its geese and onions as well as leather crafts. Catherine the Great in 1781 gave Arzamas an official city status and its own coat of arms based on the colors of the Arzamas regiment. In the early 19th century Arzamas had over twenty churches and cathedrals, the foremost being the Resurrection Cathedral. It was built in the Empire style to commemorate the Russian victory over Napoleon in 1812. Alexander Stupin art school was located in Arzamas between 1802 and 1862 and many famous Russian artists studied there, including Vasily Perov.
The scene is painted in soft blue tones against the white background. Gold paint is used to highlight the sky. White lacquer that tones with the whole palette of scene covers the box's exterior; the interior is traditionally red.
There is a Scottish style ornamentation on the bottom side of the box in blue and silver colors.
The box is constructed from quality paper-mache. The lid is hinged at the top. Signed, titled ("The Center of Arzamas City"), and dated (2007) by the artist at the bottom of the scene.
No customer comments for the moment.